I found I was able to cut a 9 x 5 inch block from the front bodice, 5 inch squares from the back bodice and a few 2.5 inch squares which will get used for something else. I still had 2 panels left to cut when it was time to head home. So I took the set home to make sure it all stayed together.
I really enjoyed working with this navy blue, red and green pattern. I've seen lots of light blue holiday quilts (think snowmen) but navy blue is unusual. I liked this fabric so much that I decided to go ahead and make a quilt.
The 9 x 5 inch blocks didn't meet our criteria so I needed to create a design. I thought about adding a strip of fabric to make the blocks 10 inches but life is short! I decided to put them in horizontal strips with an assortment of 5 inch squares I already had. I supplemented those by cutting some squares more from my own scrap stash.
There is one 9 x 5 inch block in each wide strip and then assorted 5 inch squares to make the strip the desired width. In between the wide strips there is a solid color bright red 2.5 inch strip. Those bright red strips are eye catching and as a bonus, they also eliminate the need for perfect piecing!
I really like the quilt top. Despite it's dark color, it's going to be a bright and happy quilt!
Yes, with a bit of imagination and ingenuity you can make a beautiful quilt from even unlikely fabric donations! If you have fabric you aren't sure how to use, give this a try! It's a lot of fun!