It's high summer and I've been having so much fun making summery dresses for the extended doll family!
The dress patterns I draft are usually for dresses with short sleeves. I figured that if I skipped the sleeves and just overcast the raw edges of the fabric, turned it under the 1/4 inch seam and sewed it up, I'd have a perfect sleeveless dress.
That was a good idea, but doesn't quite play out perfectly in real life! It turns out, I really need to add some width to the front of the dress bodice, otherwise the dress have a bit of a halter look (see above). For some reason, the bodice back is better than the front.
Here's a closer view to show why it would be better to use a bit wider pattern for the bodice of a sleeveless dress. Not horrible, but it could be better!
I went back and redrafted the front and back bodice pattern pieces. This version is better.
Here are a couple photos of dolls I made wearing dresses with short sleeves.
It's been so much fun making dresses with these summer fabrics--sharks, crabs, sailboats, ducks (or maybe they are geese), frozen treats on a stick, tacos, and flowers!