Two weeks ago I started posting step-by-step instructions for making a fussy cut medallion quilt. Up until now, the same strips sets were added to each side of the quilt. There is one more border to add, working in the round. Then the quilt will morph from the traditional square quilt to a rectangular quilt.
Step 6: Strips, last step where the same strip sets are added to all 4 sides.
- Cut (2) 24 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch strips from a solid color with good contrast
- Cut (2) 26 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch strips from a solid color with good contrast
- Sew the 24 1/2 inch strips to the 2 sides of the quilt.
- Sew the 26 1/2 inch strips to the top and bottom of the quilt.
- The quilt should now measure 26 1/2 x 26 1/2 inches square. THIS IS THE LAST SQUARE STEP.
Step 7: Adding blocks to top and bottom of the quilt
- Choose a quilt block that you like and that will be 6 1/2 inches UNFINISHED. (I found the pattern for this block, "Vintage Propellers" at ConnectingThreads.com).
- Make (6) 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 (unfinished) blocks
- Cut (4) 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 spacer blocks from one of the patterned fabrics
- Sew two strips sets: 1 quilt block, one spacer block, 1 quilt block, one spacer block, 1 quilt block.
- Sew one strip set to the top of the quilt and one to the bottom of the quilt.
- The quilt is now 26 x 38 inches.
Step 8: Adding just side strips with embedded fussy cut patches
- Cut (4) 6 x 2 1/2 inch strips from a patterned fabric
- Fussy cut (4) patches 2 1/2 inches wide and as tall as needed for the design.
- Because my fussy cut patches were a variety of heights, you'll need to do a bit of your own quilt math to cut this strip. From the patternedfabric, cut (2) 2 1/2 inch x length needed to make a completed 26 inch strip set when a fussy cut patch is attached to the top and bottom of this strip. Make sure to allow for the quarter inch seam allowances when cutting this spacer strip.
- Sew one fussy cut patch set to each end of the spacer cut in the previous step.
- Sew one 6 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch strip cut from patterned fabric to the top and bottom of each of these fussy cut strip sets.
- The quilt should now measure 30 x 38 inches.
In the final post next week, the quilt top will be completed.