Tiny Knit Hat for a Waldorf Type doll with a 4 1/2 inch head circumference.
- US 6 - 4.00 mm double pointed knitting (DP) needles. Set of 5 DP needles.
- Mochi Plus or similar yarn with 4-4.5 sts/onch on 9-10.5 US needles
- Yarn needle
- Cast on 20 stitches on 1 DP knitting needle
- Divide stitches evenly on the 4 DP needles (5 stitches/DP needle)
- Knit stockinette (Knit. Purl) for 3 rounds (rows 1-3)
- Knit for 5 rounds (rows 4-8)
- Row 9- Knit 3 stitches, knit 2 together at the end of needle. Repeat on each of the remaining 3 needles. (16 stitches)
- Row 10 Knit around
- Row 11 Knit 2 stitches, knit 2 together. Repeat on the each of the remaining 3 needles. (12 stitches)
- Row 12 Knit around
- Row 13 Knit 1 stitch, knit 2 together. Repeat on each of the remaining 3 needles. (8 stitches)
- Row 14 Knit around
- Row 15 Knit 2 together around. Decrease the number of needles to 2 as you knit. (4 stitches)
- Row 16 Knit around
- Knit 2 together until just 2 stitches remain
- Cut yarn leaving an 8-10 tail. Using the yarn needle, run the tail through the 2 remaining stitches. Pull tight.
- Weave in the 2 loose tails
Now your tiny Waldorf Doll will have a warm head!
If you use finer yarn (such as a #4 yarn using US 5 - 3.75mm needles) or want a slightly larger hat for a 5 inch circumference head, cast on 24 stitches and divide them, putting 6 stitches on each needle. Starting in step 5, knit 1 additional stitch before knitting the last 2 stitches together at the end of each needle. Continue with knitting with cast-off row, followed by 1 knit around row until just 2 stitches remain as in step 13.